Saturday, October 25, 2014

Raise a Glass to Disappointment!

Celebrate when you are disappointed.  I always get champagne when I’m really, really disappointed by something that hasn’t gone like I wanted to or when a sudden change comes along I wasn’t expecting.  I think I started doing it because I prefer to defy my anxiety and depressive tendencies by my actions rather than medicate them.  That could very well be a fool’s errand, but it’s what I’m going with for now.  I’d rather attempt to view the gaping hole caused by the absence of whatever I was expecting to come as an invitation for the thing that is supposed to come.  Not a gaping hole of disappointment but a portal for what’s truly best for me to come.  

How many of us have lost out on a job only to get an offer from an even better one?   Would it have hurt to raise a glass to losing that first job?  It might have made it suck a little less.  Would it be so bad to transform some disappointments into hopefulness?  Sure, take your time absorbing the change, it’s ok to cry, it’s ok to grieve.  But when you’re ready to accept it and decide what’s next, start by being grateful for the process of your life.  Start by giving thanks for what’s to come.  Ponder your faith and ask yourself if you’re the type who believes they’re not alone.  Do you believe in God?  If so, do you think God is there for you?  If not, just be grateful for your intellect and creativity (regardless of how intelligent or creative you think you may be, be grateful for whatever you have) which will help guide you to the solution.  Faith in oneself is just as good as faith in God.  Some would say it’s the exact same thing.  I tend to think I’m not alone.  The God I believe in is one who helps when asked, and sits there loving me quietly when I don’t think to do it.  Which is often, of course, like the rest of us.  

Let’s reframe our way of thinking.  Let’s take a stab at being creative with our grief and loss.  It is not irreverent to assume that every cloud has a silver lining.  Why not celebrate it?  If the Universe provides based on our intent, what favorable messages might we be sending by raising a glass to possibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment